|Paul M. Grist|
|Specials & Packages|
|Call 1-800-ALAPARK (1-800-252-7275)|
|Find A Park||What to Do||Where to Stay||Meeting Facilities||Plan Your Visit|
|Home > Events|
Commemoration of 175th Anniversary of the Trail of Tears, September 28, 2013 at Lake Guntersville State Park
On the weekend of September 7th and 8th, Lake Guntersville State Park held a public clean up day for the upcoming Commemoration of the 175th Trail of Tears event that will take place September 28th at the park.
The morning programs will take place at the Trail of Tears site and the afternoon programs will be at the lodge. For more details on this event contact the park staff. Call Patti (256) 571-5445 or Amanda at (256) 571-5440.
The schedule of all day events is as follows:
· 9:00 a.m.-Hike King’s Chapel Trail with naturalist Patti Donnellan to see marker tree.
· 10:30 a.m.-Blessing of the Trail by Gina Williamson from the United Cherokee Ani-Yun-Wiya
· 11:00 a.m.-Symbolic Walk on Trail of Tears route
· 12:30 p.m.-Lunch at the lodge- Trail of Tears lunch special
· 2:00 p.m.-“Cherokee Plants” presented by naturalist Ila Hatter
· 3:30 p.m.-‘Paddling the Water Route” presented by naturalist Dale Stewart
· 5:00 p.m.-Screening of the Trail of Tears DVD produced by the National Park Service
· 5:30 p.m.-“It’s My Trail, Too” presented by author Ronald Cooper
****All times are subject to change