Last minute specials are available.
Get them before they are gone! Read more >>>
EVER WONDERED.....WHO IS JOE WHEELER?? THEN HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO LEARN ABOUT ONE OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PERSONS IN THIS STATES HISTORY!!
We are excited to annouce that we have partnered with Pond Springs, the Home Of General Joe Wheeler. We are offering a one night stay in a standard hotel room that includes breakfast and two tickets to the Wheeler Home in Hillsboro (28 mile drive). Additional people can be added for $15 per person.
Guests will enjoy a peacful stay at Joe Wheeler State Park Lodge in a standard room. A wonderful breakfast is included with the package. After breakfast in the dining room of the Lodge or later in the day, make a short drive to the historic Wheeler Home for a guide tour.
*NOT AVAILABLE FOR SUNDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT BECAUSE POND SPRING IS CLOSED ON MONDAY AND TUESDAYS, AND TOURS ON SUNDAY START AT 1PM.
POND SPRING, THE HOME OF GENERAL JOE WHEELER
Once home to prehistoric Native Americans, Pond Spring is the post-Civil War home of Gen. Joseph Wheeler, a Confederate major general, a U.S. congressman, and a Spanish-American War general. Following the Civil War, Wheeler became a national symbol for reunification and reconciliation. Wheelers daughter, Miss Annie Wheeler, served in three wars as a Red Cross nurse.
The 50-acre site includes a dogtrot log house built around 1818, a circa 1830 Federal-Style house, the 1870s Wheeler house, eight farm related outbuildings, two family cemeteries, and African-American cemetery, a small indian mound, a pond, a boxwood garden, and other garden areas.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON POND SPRING AND THE ALABAMA HISTORICAL COMMISSION
DIRECTIONS FROM THE LODGE
1) Leave the Lodge parking and head towards HWY 72 on McLean Drive (main park road).
2) At the HWY 72 Intersection, go left (West) on HWY 72 towards Florence until you come to a red light.
3) At the red light in Elgin Crossroads, turn left onto HWY 101 South.
4) After Crossing Wheeler Dam on HWY 101, take the third left onto County Road 150. Go pass the Dam Store towards Courtland.
5) Stay on County Road 150 pass the Paper Mill until you come to a red light. Take a Left (East) at the red light onto HWY 20.
6) Stay on HWY 20 for about 3 miles. Look for the "General Joe Wheeler Home" sign. Pond Springs will be located to the right adjacent to HWY 20 just across the railroad.
Pond Spring-The General Joe Wheeler Home
12280 Alabama Highway 20
Hillsboro, AL 35643
TOUR TIMES HOURLY WEDNESDAY-SATURDAY:
9AM, 10AM, 11AM, 1PM, 2PM, 3PM
TOUR TIMES HOURLY ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON:
1PM, 2PM, & 3PM
CLOSED DURING LUNCH FROM 12PM-1PM.
ALABAMA HISTORICAL COMMISSION-POND SPRING
FRIENDS OF THE GEN. JOE WHEELER HOME
POND SPRING FACEBOOK PAGE