Last minute specials are available.
Get them before they are gone! Read more >>>
In 1933, the State of Alabama acquired lands that today comprise 11 of the 22 State Parks. Part of those lands included the area that became Cheaha State Park. In the same year the lands were acquired, a cooperative effort between the State of Alabama and the National Park System paved the way for the Civilian Conservation Corp's (CCC) development and construction of Cheaha State Park.
Over the following years, the CCC constructed the original hotel (now known as Bald Rock Group Lodge), the 16 beautiful stone cabins, the Observation Tower, and a stone pavilion, all of which are still standing and in use today. Its continuous operation since 1933, makes Cheaha, Alabama's oldest continuously operating State Park.
Enjoy this original footage, from the Department of the Interior, dating to the 1930's when Cheaha State Park was still under construction. Our CCC museum is currently under construction, and will be opening soon, so that you can learn more about the people who built Cheaha State Park from the ground up!
Bunker Observation Tower
A photo of Bald Rock Group Lodge taken just before or after construction was finished, Est. 1939
Exact date photo taken is unknown.
Cheaha State Park's Caretaker's House.
Photo taken during construction in January 1935.
One of Cheaha State Park's five original stone cabins.
Photo taken May 24, 1936
One of Cheaha State Park's A-frame Chalets under construction.
Photo taken in 1973 during expansion and renovations period.
A photo of Cheaha State Park's hotel just before construction finished in 1973.
A picture of the bridge on old Cheaha Park Road.
Date Taken: Unknown.
Construction on the dam that created Cheaha State Park Lake.